Summer Days

I've decided to continue my reading blog adventures for this summer. I figured that continuing to blog would be a good use of my time, and it would motivate me to read more throughout the days. So far, I've read two books and I am making my way through my third book. Barnes and Nobles was the first store I went to at the beginning of summer, and I purchased A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams and If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him! by Sheldon B. Kopp. I finished Streetcar within a day; this book definitely has made my list of favorite books. After reading that book, I went back and finished Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, which has also made my list of favorites. I plan to read Buddha, followed by Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews once I finish my current book.

I have just reached chapter 19 of Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. While I typically plan out which books I want to read next, this book was a spontaneous pick from my shelf. I needed a quick read that I would be able to enjoy while baby sitting, but I also wanted something that I would find interesting. Lolita has been enjoyable to read due to its short chapters, which allows me to read while keeping up with my busy summer schedule, such as work and volunteering. One particular quote that I liked had to do with the comparison of memories of Annabel, Humbert's first love, and Lolita. "There are two kinds of visual memory: one when you skillfully recreate an image in the laboratory of your mind, with your eyes open (and then I see Annabel in such general terms as: "honey-colored skin," "thin arms," "brown bobbed hair," "long lashes," "big bright mouth"); and the other when you instantly evoke, with shut eyes, on the dark innersole of your eyelids, the objective absolutely optical replica of a beloved face, a little ghost in natural colors (and this is how I see Lolita)." 11
This quote stood out to me because I felt that it captured the infatuation and admiration that Humbert has with Lolita. I remember reading a psychology article saying that our memories aren't exactly accurate (link here), so reading this passage made me feel that most of Humbert's love for Lolita is mental due to his strong recollection of her. As I continue reading, I keep finding myself thinking that Humbert is in love with the idea of Lolita and the young girl he has created and portrayed her to be, but he is not actually in love with Lolita as her true self and person. Lolita is still a child and has a sort of innocence that attracts Humbert, but Lolita will not always be the young girl like she is currently in the book. This leads me to believe that Humbert has in a way created and fallen in love with a fictional character that he has based off of a young girl that he admires and believes to be his love.

Comments

Popular Posts